How to Make Fluffy Slime [2 Recipes Safe + Butter]
Slime is so much fun! We have seen so many cool slime ideas, from this quick, easy fluffy slime recipe to glitter and even metallic slime. One thing is certain, it brings a lot of enjoyment and it’s fun to make! Add your own special touches like glitter, foam balls for the extra crunchy fun or even glow in the dark pigment! If you are concerned about the Borax, we have also included a recipe with NO BORAX. It uses saline solution instead.
If you want a smoother “butter” texture, scroll down, I have included the tips to make a less sticky slime.
Safe Ingredients to Make Fluffy Slime:
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 Food coloring of your choice
3 cups Foam shaving cream (like Barbasol, not gel.)
1 tbsp Saline solution (active ingredients should be sodium borate and boric acid. Try this Equate brand)
1/2 cup White washable pva school glue (like Elmer’s glue brand!)
Regular Version Fluffy Slime Recipe with Borax:
- Elmer’s Washable Glue (this size is the best bet so you don’t run out!)
- Borax (make sure a parent supervises and assists with this ingredient)
- Shaving Cream (the cheap foaming kind like Barbasol, not the gel variety!)
- 1 Cup Water
You’ll need: Measuring cups, spoons, and bowl
Food coloring (optional)
- Measure 1 Cup of hot water and mix this with 1 Tablespoon of Borax. Mix until these two ingredients are thoroughly mixed and the water turns clear. VERY IMPORTANT! Reports of reactions to Borax are because it has not been properly diluted. I recommend parents do this step to insure the safety of the slime. Set aside.
- Add 1 Cup of glue to a large bowl and mix this with a 1/2 Cup of water until it is fully mixed.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of shaving cream to the bowl and mix together well.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to add a pretty color to your slime.
- Once everything is mixed well, add 1 Tablespoon of your Borax mixture and mix well (Some people prefer to use contact lens saline solution instead of Borax. If you do, use 1 tbsp Saline solution with the active ingredients: sodium borate and boric acid).
- Keep repeating with 1 tablespoon at a time until your slime pulls away from the bowl and starts to form into a ball. Most recipes will only require 3 tablespoons of the diluted Borax mixture before it pulls away into a fun, marshmallow-y, fluffy ball. 🙂
- TIP: To make your slime less sticky with a buttery soft texture, use modeling clay like Daiso Japan’s Soft Clay
Some people add scents and crunchy elements to their slime recipes to make ‘Floam’ such as these foam balls
Everything you’ll need for Fluffy Slime: