Looking for the the BEST backpacks for back to school? Our team of fashion-conscious editors have worked hard at finding only the best brands and styles for teens and tweens backpacks – so you can be ready to make an awesome first impression on your first day of school. We have made this list based on: #1: DURABILITY, #2 Functionality and #3 Style. We all love a super cool backpack, but if it won’t last us all school year, we could be disappointed. So while we LOVE the iridescent and fringe styles, we’re gonna focus for a moment on some practical styles that should make moms and daughters happy 🙂
Here are our favorite trendy, and durable backpack picks for teens and tweens:
- Carry everything in class with Fjallraven backpacks. These stylishly simple backpacks are designed to be durable and hold everything you need from a water bottle on the side pockets to your keys in the front zipper pockets and everything essential in-between. Prices according to size, Fjallraven comes in a variety of colors and sizes for any age – kid through adult.
- The Mancro slim backpack with water resistant outer shell and theft proof technology is perfect for high school and college students who love organization and simple, well-thought out design. This backpack features a CHARGING PORT option, which allows you to place a Power Charging Bank into the backpack and connect a USB cable. The MULTI-COMPARTMENT & CLASSIFIED pockets provide 3 MAIN pockets & 9 INNER small pockets & 2 SEALED SIDE pockets, which provides a separated space for your Laptop, textbooks, magazines, iPhone, iPad, pen, keys, wallet, books, clothes, bottle, etc. If safety is important to you, this backpack is designed with a metal zipper and a combo lock, which is included.
pictured: Mancro backpack $31
- The North Face Women’s Jester Backpack Offers durability, great storage options and great fit for carrying a heavy load. Many students love the size and quality the most and the fabric is water repellant, so you can rest assured that your contents will stay dry. It’s big enough to hold all of your stuff for school, yet it won’t look oversized. It’s available in a wide array of colors and prints, too!
From a Reviewer: “As always, another high quality backpack from TNF. I will only buy North Face backpacks. I use my Jester every day and it has been the only backpack that I’ve ever had that lasts more than a year. They usually last about three to four years for me and about 2 to 3 years for my kids school backpacks which is very impressive considering I had a stretch where I was buying a new (cheap $20 backpack from Target) backpack every other month for my 10yo. It’s worth the $60+ dollars for the value I’ve gotten out of these backpacks. I personally have had four of the men’s Jester (one was stolen from my car) over the past 12-13 or so years. My kids are on their 2nd and 1st school years with theirs and they’re still going strong!”
- Kipling Ravier Medium Solid Backpack People are calling the Kipling backpacks their new go-to bags for school and travel! They are the perfect size, lightweight and they hold everything you need. For those who want a laptop backpack, try the Kipling Seoul Laptop Backpack Not to mention they come in a variety of awesome colors and..let’s face it, that cute monkey zipper pull is ADORBS!! One reviewer wrote: “Loveee this bag! It’s petite but don’t let its size fool you. This bag is actually quite spacious with plenty of additional storage aside from the main area. It’s great for traveling and I will also use it for the school season. I could go on forever but point is I totally recommend you purchasing this bag”.
- The Herschel Supply Co. Pop Quiz Multipurpose Backpack is a fan favorite! Known for it’s durability and waterproof design, the Herschel backpacks are seen and loved everywhere. The company also offers a limited lifetime warranty for their backpacks. The Herschel Pop Quiz backpack will keep you organized at school with a wide range of versatile pockets and organizers. This bag features: a padded and fleece lined 15 inch laptop sleeve, Front pocket with internal mesh organizers and key clip, Waterproof zippers, Fleece lined sunglasses compartment, Internal media pocket with headphone port. it will also hold a laptop up to a Macbook Pro size. It carries a lot – Comfortably!
- LeSportsac backpacks and bags are just fun and fabulous! The Classic Basic Backpack is the best option for school (or for travel). I own several different styles of their bags with my favorite being the Tokidoki from a few years ago, and the Bambi and Mickey Loves Minnie collection this year (so cute!). They are beautiful, collectable, functional, and practically indestructible.
- JanSport Unisex SuperBreak backpack is a #1 Best Seller for it’s price, durability and style options. From a Reviewer: “As always, JanSport delivered with a solid, well built, back pack. My kids love the purple on purple and the texture of the flocking/velvet of the design. She also is a huge fan of the tassel. I’m glad she will have a solid backpack for years to come.”
- High Sierra Loop Backpack Backpack enthusiasts swear the High Sierra Loop Backpack is one of the best backpacks ever made. Made from 1680 Denier Ballistic Nylon, this backpack offers lightweight durability like no other. This one isn’t specifically made to carry a laptop, and there is no padding at the bottom. we think a laptop sleeve would be advised if you choose to carry one in this bag. This is a rather large backpack, so if you prefer slimmer bags, this probably won’t be the best choice for you. But if you want a great multipurpose bag, casual daypack, or a bag for school and for vacation, this one is excellent.
- Under Armour Girls Favorite Backpack The classic style of this Under Armour backpack is perfect for girls, tweens, teens and even women. A lot of moms are purchasing this backpack for their girls for the durability and fun colors and styles. From a Reviewer: “This Book bag is the perfect size for my middle-schooler. I was worried because I found it under “girls”, so I assumed I was taking a risk on it not being big enough. It fits her body well and can hold all her books and devices”.
- Roxy Junior’s Shadow View Backpack or the Roxy Cool Breeze lightweight backpack What’s not to love about the Roxy backpack collections? They’re durable, stylish and full of compartments to hold all of your books and essentials. A fan of the Roxy backpacks writes: “Its adorable for one, It’s huge, and has plenty of places to put my phone, keys, wallet etc. for easy access. Being a college student you need a big enough backpack that is comfortable.”
(Take caution and make sure you buy from a reputable seller on Amazon or use your Prime membership and buy directly from Amazon fulfillment. If a product is shipping from overseas, consider purchasing from a US seller instead, as there are counterfeit products on the market for top selling products like Jansport, Herschel, Fjallraven and LeSportsac)